For children and youth
It’s simple: Investing in today’s children and youth, is investing in tomorrow’s adults. It is the children and youth of today who will decide the future of our society.
Mano a Mano has been offering activities and programs for children and youth, of various ages, since the early 1990’s. Our current programs are best suited for children 10 years or older.
All of our youth programs have been brought under the Youth Empowerment Program (Y.E.P.), which Mano a Mano has operated since the year 2000. Our basic goals are:
- All youth in our programs will graduate high school and post-secondary (including trade or vocational school)
- All youth in our programs will find stable employment post-graduation
- All youth will have access to skills and opportunities they need to live healthy lives
- All youth will have the opportunity to take leadership roles in the community
Our current programs are youth-led and include:
- After school programs at various community sites (and soon in community sites)
- Homework help and, upon request, individual tutoring
- Self-esteem, cultural education and pro-social skills
- Service learning
- Fitness and recreational activities
- Arts and cultural education and performance programs, including Project Space (a program of the Salem Arts Association) and L.U.S.’ Annual Urban Art Fest
- Summer leadership programs
- Gang Prevention
- Ongoing leadership and Civic Engagement training and opportunities
- Cuidate! Program for Latino youth to develop the knowledge, attitudes, and skills to reduce their risks for HIV and unplanned pregnancies
- Strengthening Families Program, for youth ages 10-14 and their parents
- L.U.S. Youth Organization, youth-led leadership program
- LAYC’s Promotor Pathway Coming soon!